About

Welcome to Alexandra Park Community Centre!

Screen Shot 2012-02-03 at 4.27.36 PM

Mission:

To be a community-oriented, multi-functional centre that plans and coordinates a range of social, recreational and cultural services geared to the overall needs of the community with maximum benefit to residents.

Alexandra Park Community Centre is a registered not-for-profit charitable organization that is governed by the Alexandra Park Residents Association through a board of directors consisting of 9 members that are residents of the Housing Cooperative. As a multi-functional organization, the centre offers a range of social, recreational and cultural services geared to the overall needs of the community. Established in 1976, the centre is a Hub for approximately 2000 residents from toddlers to seniors. The centre operates year round with 3 full-time and 4 part-time staff. Workers consist of Executive Director, a Child and Youth Program Coordinator, a Family Resource Program Coordinator, 2 Family Resource Assistants and 2 After 4 Program Assistants. The centre has over 30 volunteers that provide on-going support to its programs.

Currently, the centre serves approximately 500 residents of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. Of those served, 75% are children and teenagers ranging in age from toddlers to 23. The remaining 25% of those served are adults and seniors.

The uniqueness of the centre’s programs is their ability to engage participants from toddlers to the elderly and in doing so; the centre adds value and worth to the lives of the residents. The overall benefit of these programs is that they encourage and empower residents to become leaders in their own lives and the lives of others in their community. Programs offered by the centre include Moms and Tots Program, The Foodshare and Clothing Drive Program, The After Four Program, The Youth Program, The Teen Leadership Program, The Annual Summer Camp, The Seniors Program.

What is unique about these programs is that they encourage and empower residents to become leaders in their own community. The centre has been resourceful in developing valuable relationships with community partners and organizations.

Most notably, the programs for children and young people leave them with a sense of confidence and self worth.

The centre hosts year round celebrations; all major holidays are marked by community dinners and lunches that encourage larger participation.

Alexandra Park Community Centre is proud of its achievements thus far. The programs at the centre have been instrumental in providing residents with the vehicle to build internal capacity toward self-confidence and self-worth. Alexandra Park Community Centre now recognizes to further grow the community what is needed is the mechanism to assist the residents to gain the necessary tools and support to build economic stability in their lives.

 

 

Alexandra Park Community Centre

 

Alexandra Park Community Centre is located at 105 Grange Court, Toronto, Ontario M5T 2J6

2 Streets south of Dundas, West of Spadina

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>